SQL Azure Disaster Recovery Plan
The allure of cost savings, greater flexibility, and more agility, many organizations are eyeing the cloud as an alternative for deploying new applications, including those with high database performance requirements, 72% annual growth rate of cloud-based databases through 2018. We are build up the setup SQL server Cluster in Azure Platform.
HADR Deployment Architectures:
MS SQL Server high availability and disaster recovery (HADR) technologies that are supported in Azure include:
- Always On Availability Groups
- Always On Failover Cluster Instances
- Log Shipping
- SQL Server Backup and Restore with Azure Blob Storage Service
Database Mirroring – Deprecated in SQL Server 2016
MS SQL Server Cluster in Azure
Solution that provides the most options and flexibility to implement a high availability SQL Server solution, we will be discussing how to build a Windows Server Failover Cluster for SQL Server using Azure virtual machines. As stated, one of the requirements for Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) is the ability to access shared storage which is not an option in Azure, but by integrating a solution like SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition into the mix we can build a SQL Server cluster using Azure virtual machines. SIOS DataKeeper Cluster Edition is a Microsoft Azure Certified product which means this is a fully supported Microsoft solution.
- Provision the virtual machines
- Add the Failover Clustering feature to the virtual machines
- Create a file share witness
- Install DataKeeper and setup the storage
SIOS DataKeeper allows us to get around the need for shared storage, by creating disk volumes that are replicated between each node in the cluster. The data in these volumes is synchronized using real time, block level replication. The data therefore exists on all nodes in the cluster, which also eliminates the possibility of losing the data with a single shared storage source. Once the volume or volumes have been created on the cluster nodes using SIOS DataKeeper, this storage becomes available within the Failover Cluster Manager as available storage.
After the storage has been configured, the following steps remain:
- Install SQL Server on the first cluster node using the “New SQL Server failover cluster installation option”. When you go through the setup of SQL Server you will see the available storage that has been configured using SIOS DataKeeper.
- Install SQL Server on the second cluster node using the “Add node to a SQL Server failover cluster” option.
- Configure the Azure Internal Load Balancer, so clients can connect to active node.
What is SIOS ?
SIOS software cuts through the clutter and complexity of today’s computing infrastructure with powerful solutions that protect and optimize your most important applications. SIOS iQ machine learning IT analytics optimizes VMware. SIOS SAN and SANLess cluster software provides the flexibility to provide high availability solutions using clusters in cloud, virtual, and hybrid configurations.
Efficient Disaster Recovery with SIOS DataKeeper Standard Edition
SIOS DataKeeper Standard Edition adds disaster recovery to Windows environments by keeping real-time copies of data synchronized across multiple servers and data centers. It protects data in physical, virtual, and cloud environments and provides enterprise-class protection for all server workloads at a fraction of the cost of array-based replication. More info download pdf DataKeeper_SAN-SANLess_Clusters_Windows_Product_Brief
— Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA)